Monday, January 02, 2012

Pineapple Flat to Wonnanngatta Station


We were all keen and packed up early and were ready to leave by 9am. We hit the road and travelled along the King Basin Track up to Speculation Track.  From here we were supposed to turn left but I had a little boo boo with the map and was tracking us at the wrong intersection and we turned right.  It was not for some time that I realised what I had done so we took a slight 40km detour which added a hour to our day.  I was spewing that I had taken the whole convoy around but on the light side we got to travel on roads we would not have otherwise taken.  

Once we were on the right track which was Bindaree track we travelled along to the water falls.  Half the group took the short walk up and James and I stayed back with Lani to just chill.  We decided that we wanted to push onto either Bluff Hut or Lovicks Hut for lunch.  The tracks were slow going but we forged on.  As we turned onto Bluff Link road we slowed right down the track got very steep and rutted in sections.  We were now in Low range 1st and 2nd gear the whole time.

From here all the way to Lovicks Hut we made slow progress.  From Lovicks Hut to the junction of Zeka Spur Track the track got very rocky and very steep.  We had never taken our car over such rough terrain for such a long period but it didn’t miss a beat or slip once. We then had hoped that the Zeka Spur Track would be slightly better terrain, we had 34kms to go to Wonnanngatta Station.

Ah we were wrong but alas we pushed on.  The sun was still hot and high in the sky and it was pushing 5pm. We made plenty of mates on the way as they talked to us on the radio at one point we stopped to let cars pass and I got out to take a photo.  I stepped onto rock that had lots of smaller rocks on it and it acted like marbles and I went over and got a nice graze down my leg and a patch on my arm but most importantly I saved my camera.  We figured we would get to camp around 5.30 but with hair pin after hair pin and rocky section and then some mud and more rocks and so on it went.  As we made it to the end of the track we pulled High range and took off to find camp.  

We found a nice grassy spot right next to the river near some gum trees and made camp.  We didn’t have a fire tonight we just sat and chatted and relaxed.

No comments: