Sunday, May 18, 2014

Perth

We arrived in the Perth in the middle of January. We had not plans on where to live or where to find work but we had hope and Lady Luck on our side. We started our search and in no time at all we were invited to flat with Monica and Neil in a suburb 20 min north of the city. I'd been offered an interview which fell through but kept on applying. 

It wasn't long till I joined an agency to do relief work in the child care field. It was in that same week that I was also offered a job at Subiaco stadium and then the Perth Arena. I couldn't make the interview for Subiaco so I got the job at the arena as a cleaner. 

Within 3 weeks of arriving, we moved into a house, James was working remotely and I had 2 jobs. Life certainly was busy again in a very different way. I did relief work at a few places then did a day at a centre that was under 2km from home. I thoroughly enjoyed my day and they needed someone and so it was from here that I talked with the director and they took me on full time causal till I left. I want to thank Julie for the offer, Casey for her trust, Fay & Kamilla for the laughs. I found a friend for life in Sharon and worked with many other lovely ladies who I'll always remember. 

We bought bikes to get us around and I thoroughly enjoyed riding to and from work. We got out exploring as much as possible. We explored the suburbs, the city, Rottnest Island, the Hills district and he East. We got out to Wave rock and Kalgoorlie, up to New Norcia and thoroughly enjoyed time in the Avon valley. 

We had plenty of work done on the car getting the windows tinted, several oil leaks fixed, a new winch fitted and a new solar panel for the roof. The fridge was repaired, the trailer got new tyres and a carrier for our bikes. 

Cleaning at the arena was something I had never done or expected. At the outset of this trip one thing I wanted to do was jobs I had never done before. I've not held 2 jobs as a causal before and I'd never been a cleaner.  I met some great people and learnt a new skill which I can now carry with me. Perth pushed me to challenge myself in such a variety of ways. 

As we farewell Perth we leave with such fond memories. Spending summer here was absolutely the best thing to do for us. We formed friendships, experienced life in a different way and what at times felt like a different country and most of all had fun. 

No comments: